The history of the Scott and Sons shipyard at bowling can be traced back as far as 1851. The company was involved in shipbuilding and repair.
The yard eventually closed down in 1979 and the site has been abandoned ever since. Most of the structures and buildings on land have now been demolished and the only real evidence of the shipyard having existed are the concrete floors where the building once stood and the piers.
Within Bowling harbour there are the remains of several vessels that have been abandoned for many decades. The history of the boats abandoned in the harbour is not entirely clear. Some are almost certainly remnants of the ship building and repair, others may well have been abandoned after the closure of the yard.
A look around what remains of the shipyard...